The Practice of Spiritual Communion

This is a really simple, beautiful prayer you can say (even every day!), but especially when you aren't able to attend Sunday Mass. Please scroll down for the prayer itself, which Fr. Nick explains in this video.




Fr. Nick explains this concept for us: When we love someone we want to be with them in person. But when we can't be with them that way, it's great if we can at least hear and possibly see them over a phone or a computer. Because we love Jesus, we want to receive Him, in Person, in Holy Communion at Mass. But when we can't receive Him that way, it's great if we can at least experience the effects of His presence, similar to how we experience the effects of a friend or family member's presence when we hear or see them electronically: They're not with us in person, but we can still hear  them and see them; we can still experience the effects of their presence.

When we make a spiritual communion, which is a prayer expressing our love for Jesus and our desire to receive Him in Person in Holy Communion, we can experience the same effects of His presence even though we don't receive Him the same way.

Here's a spiritual communion prayer from St. Alphonsus Ligouri which is a beautiful summary of this idea:
My Jesus, I believe that you are present in the most Blessed Sacrament. I love you above all things, and I desire to receive you into my soul. Since I cannot now receive you sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace you as if you have already come and unite myself wholly to you. Never permit me to be separated from you.  Amen.
Please click here and scroll down for a Coloring Page of this same prayer.

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for including my coloring page! God be with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome! Thank you for sharing it - we were so tickled that it happened to be the exact same one that Fr. Nick had recommended! Prayers for you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment